Monday, August 15, 2005

French Toast and Dave Matthews

This morning I decided to make my little brother and sister french toast, and I'll be damned if it wasn't the best I ever made. My sister hated it, of course, but Luke really seemed to enjoy himself. This is the recipe to the best I can recall it:

- 1 large egg
- 1/2-3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp. freshly grated clemetine zest
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 T sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt

Mix in a pie pan. Set a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add some butter. The amount of egg mixture I made coated 4 pieces of bread very nicely. (I used potato bread, as that was on hand). Cook, turning once, until golden brown and delicious. I served it with real maple syrup and whipped cream (there was a can in the fridge, why not?). I'm telling you it was heaven. Continued...

I think I will call it "Lazy Crepe Suzette" because it gives you similar flavor notes, but with much less time and effort. Needs a nice cafe au lait to go with. Maybe some raspberries. Mmmmmhh. Raspberries...

Also, I went to my 9th or 10th (Lost track. Yes I know I need to stop) Dave concert last Friday. I ate Gordon Biersch Garlic Fries with their Marzen Lager. I still smell like garlic. God those are tasty. Dave was excellent. He played Lover Lay Down, one of my favorites. All I know about Dave and foodstuffs is that he loves his drinkie. In his songs he mentions wine (many times), and tequila, and whiskey. Among Dave Fans, he notoriously loves bourbon. So here is a generic whiskey sour recipe to toast Dave and his fabulous performance. To be more specific, we'll call it a bourbon sour. (I happen to love these, although Dave probably likes it straight. How can you not like a drink with a mandatory cherry?!)

Bourbon Sour

2 oz bourbon
1 oz lemon juice
1/2 tsp superfine sugar
1 orange slice
1 cherry

In a shaker half-filled with ice cubes, combine the bourbon, lemon juice, and sugar. Shake well. Strain into a whiskey sour glass, garnish with the orange slice and cherry.

If only I could get Dave to come over to my house. I would make him my french toast. Then we would live happily ever after.

No comments: