Saturday, September 17, 2005

Dream Bars and Buttons


Aubree had a bake sale at school to raise money for the people recovering from the hurricane. Of course I *helped* her make cookies. We decided that we needed something that looked good, and was easy to make in somewhat large quantities. So I flipped through The Joy of Cooking , probably the greatest cookbook ever. I knew I had eaten a Dream Bar before, but I was surprised by how easy it was to produce such amazing results. Continued...

It starts out with a buttery crust, then toasted coconut, walnuts and/or pecans are piled on, then a brown sugary "like the inside of pecan pie" filling is poured over. After baking, a simple icing is spread over the warm goodies, creating a nice frosty crust. Aubree was quite hesitant at first, she is not a huge fan of nuts or coconut. I assured her that after everything was put together, it would taste like something completely different and amazing. After one bite she was hooked, and knew that all of her friends would be swarming over them. My father said "that is the best thing I ever put in my mouth." So get a copy of The Joy of Cooking and try them. They rock my socks.


Another fun thing I discovered this week was retrobugs.com/buttons. To totally rip off Brownie Points (an excellent blog), these retro buttons are a great "Gifts for Foodies."
Except for the nod to Rachel Ray (at least it wasn't Emeril, that would be unforgiveable), these buttons appear to be made specifically for me, or a little more realistically and a little less pretentious, me and a group of my wonderfully dorky friends. You know who you are.

1 comment:

Jocelyn:McAuliflower said...

Those buttons are cute!

You should look at setting them up as designs at Cafe Press for aprons or t-shirts. :)