Wednesday, September 14, 2005

One Fish, Two Fish

I've always had an itching to open up a restaurant. It would be pretty awesome. Really quirky, but elegantly decorated. Mismatched chairs, linens and silverware, but somehow it'll all work together. Wacky retro art on the walls. An espresso bar... Hell, maybe a real bar...

Eh.

At this point in time, I am too much of a chicken to actually go through with it. (Lots of work, I lack confidence, etc. etc.)For now it is a nice fantasy.

Sometimes, when I am bored in class, I come up with menus.

This has always been my favorite dish to include. It is fancy, but still homey. Nutrition wise, it ain't to shabby either. Continued...

It is Tilapia atop Sauteed Spinach with Carmelized Onion and Cauliflower-Potato Whip with a White Wine Sauce. (Sounds important, eh?)

Tilapia is yummy and easy to prepare, and to me is easier to cook than red snapper in that it holds together better. I salt it, then very lightly flour it before pan frying it in browning butter. (Note: This is not one of those Paula Dean "I am making something healthly but throw in a stick of butter." Minimal butter here). Also, do not allow the fish to be over cooked.

The veggie component starts with carmelizing some onion (a touch of butter and a touch of olive oil [If I ever use the term E.V.O.O., feel free to dispose of me anyway you see fit]). After the onion is to where you like it, add fresh chopped spinach and cover. Season with a little salt and pepper.

The starch essentially mashed potato and mashed cauliflower, but instead of milk or cream, I use chicken broth. As one wise man says, "It adds more flavor to the party." I do add, again, a little bit, of butter.

Lastly, I use the pan I cooked the fish in to make, essentially, a buerre blanc. Deglaze with white wine, add a little super cold butter, fresh chopped parsley, salt and pepper.

After it is all plated, some lemon is nice.

This dish is very impressive, yet very easy to do. It would be great for entertaining a small party, perhaps with some tapenade and bread as an appetizer, and maybe a cherry clafouti for dessert. Mmmmh. Who wants to come to my house for dinner? Bring wine.


1 comment:

Laura said...

I looooooooove tilapia. Tons of it in Kenya. Mmmm. Come to Miami and I'll buy you whatever ingredients you need to cook for me.

Marry me?